Broccoli is abundant at your farmer’s market and it’s so good for you! Broccoli has so many benefits, it can prevent many types of cancer, improve our digestive system, lower cholesterol, detoxify the body and maximize viatmin and mineral uptake. Grab some organic broccoli and whip up a delicious soup for your family this spring!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium- large onion, chopped
- 1 leek cleaned and chopped (white and light green part)
- 1 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups chopped broccoli (stems peeled and florets)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion, leek and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in broccoli. Add water and broth; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and cook until very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Stir in half-and-half if desired, salt and pepper.