Want to try something new for dinner?! Try this butternut squash mac and cheese with its creamy smoked cheddar, smokey bacon and velvety butternut squash! It’s something you’ll be cooking a lot!
- 12 ounces dried rigatoni
- 1 1/2 pounds of butternut squash (cut into chunks-peeled and seeded)
- 2 3/4 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces of smoked Gruyere cheese (shredded)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 small sweet onions (cut into chunks)
- 3 ounces of sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- fresh flat-leaf italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a 3-quart baking dish-set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, transfer to large bowl.
- In a large saucepan combine the squash and 2 1/2 cups of milk over medium-high heat. Bring to boiling and reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 cup of milk and flour-stir into squash mixture.
- Bring to boiling-cook until thickened (2 to 3 mintues). Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Gruyere until melted-keep warm.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp-drain on paper towels.Crumble and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Return skillet to the heat.
- Add onions to skillet, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and increase heat to hight. Cook 4 to 6 minutes more, stirring, until onions are goldent.
- Add squash-cheese mixture, onions, and bacon to the bowl with pasta. Toss well to combine and transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Place bread in a food proecessor and pulse with 2 or 3 on/off turns to form large coarse crumbs.
- Transfer to small bowl-mix with melted butter.
- Sprinkle remaining Gruyere and the bread crumbs over pasta mixture.
- Bake for about 14 to 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, and then sprinkle with parsley.