Looking for something healthy and warm to eat during this cold winter?! Well look no further, try this delicious and easy soup to make for the family!
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 large diced stalk of celery
- 1 large diced carrot
- 9 cups of water
- 4 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 1/3 cup of dried black beans
- 1/3 cup of dried great northern beans
- 1/3 cup of dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally-about 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, barley, great northern beans, kidney beans, black beans, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Bring it to a lively simmer for about 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours (adding more water, 1/2 cup at a time).
- Season with salt.