The first day of school can be scary for kids. It can be scary for parents too, but there are things you can say to your child right now to. make them feel better.
Experts say there are four things kids need to understand when they head back to school. Those are:
- You’re proud of them and you’ll love them no matter what.
- They can succeed if they try.
- Learning is fun and school is a great place to make friends.
- After school, they can come home to a family that loves them.
So how can you reinforce these thoughts? You can do it with your words and by giving your child an encouraging phrase.
- You can do anything you set your mind to. It reminds them that success is within their grasp.
- Try your best, but you don’t have to be the best at everything. It reminds kids that even if they’re not perfect, they are still loved at home.
- Don’t focus so much on the future. Enjoy the present. Kids can get so worried about how things will turn out, that it’s important to remind them to have fun at the moment.
- Treat others how you would like to be treated. Being kind and putting themselves in someone else’s shoes is always an important lesson.
- I want to hear about your day. Let them know you take an interest in their day and you want to talk about it with them.
- I love and support you. Let them know that you have their back.
- Be true to you. Remind them that bullying happens sometimes, but that they are perfect just the way they are.
- Here is how your day is going to go. This is especially important on the first day. Let them know what they should expect like, “you’re going to meet your teacher”, “you might have to introduce yourself to the class”, etc. It will help them get mentally prepared.
- You’ll grow if you go outside your comfort zone. Remind them that growth only comes when you push yourself.
- Everyone makes mistakes. Mistakes are important and will be good reminders on priorities later in life.
What are some other phrases you could say to your kids?