Are You Spending Too Much At Grocery Stores?!
By Hope Bidegainberry on February 6, 2019
If you always overspend at the supermarket, it might not be totally your fault. Here are 5 ways grocery stores trick us into buying more stuff:
- They hand out free samples. You used to only see it at Costco, but now more stores do it. It makes your more likely to buy something you wouldn’t normally buy.
- They make you use giant shopping carts. Which makes us think our cart isn’t very full, so we keep adding stuff.
- They put expensive brands at eye level. When something’s front and center, you’re more likely to buy it.
- They hide the essentials at the back of the store. Bread, milk, cheese are usually near the back, so you have to walk past all the other stuff to get there. Which ups your chances of making an impulse purchase.
- Ads that say thinks like “Ten for $10.” So then people assume they need to buy ten of something to get the deal, but if you look closer, that’s not always the case, and you still get the same deal if you buy one or two of them.