Eight Tips for People Who Are Working from Home
By Hope Bidegainberry on April 14, 2020
Working from home takes some getting used to, unless you were ALREADY doing it. A new survey talked to over 3,000 people who worked from home before the crisis hit. Here are eight pieces of advice they had for newbies . . .
- Don’t forget to take breaks. It was the most common piece of advice they gave.
- Develop a routine. Don’t just drift through every day without a plan.
- Create a home office space. It doesn’t have to be a separate room. Even your kitchen table is better than working from bed.
- Get up and move around. Don’t stay on your computer when you take breaks. Give your eyes a rest, and your muscles a chance to stretch.
- Set clear boundaries between work and play. Do your best to separate your free time from your work hours. Meaning specific start and end times.
- Don’t watch TV. A lot of people in the survey said it’s important to avoid distractions.
- Get dressed. It’s hard to get in the right mindset if you’re always in pajamas.
- Keep in touch with co-workers. Take time to call and email people, even if it’s just to say hi and catch up.