By Hope Bidegainberry on December 18, 2017
It’s the holidays! That means you have to make gingerbread cookies! It’s the best time of the year to bake and eat! Try these delicious gingerbread cookies that everyone will love!
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of molasses
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice or cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a saucepan set over low heat, melt butter, then stir in the brown sugar, salt, molasses, and spices.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl, let it cool, and then beat in the egg.
- Whisk the baking powder and soda into the flour, and then stir these dry ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Divide the dough in half, and pat each half into a think rectangle.
- Wrap well and then refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make sure it’s cold before continuing).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Get out several baking sheets.
- Once the dough has chilled, take one piece of dough out of the refrigerator, and flour a clean work surface.
- Roll the dough 1/8 inch to 1/4 thick.
- Flour both the top and bottom of the dough if it starts to stick.
- Place the dough on parchment, and put a sheet of plastic wrap over it as your roll, pulling the plastic to eliminate wrinkles as necessary when rolling.
- Cut out shapes with a floured cookie cutter.
- Transfer the cookies to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer them to a rack to let cool.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Decorate the cookies with icing.