Kale inspired Pesto for kids!!
By 965koit on March 11, 2019
For some kids, eating vegetables is hard. This Kale Pesto is full of vitamin A, vitamin K and dietary fiber…and it tastes delicious! Your local farmer’s market is full of fresh Kale, try this recipe for your family tonight! If you want to keep the calories low for yourself, replace the pasta with zucchini noodles!
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 lb of your favorite shaped pasta fusilli, penne, cavatappi
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add kale to the pot. Blanche kale for 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove kale and put into a strainer, rinse and drain.
- Add pasta to original pot of boiling water and cook until tender.
- Mix kale, parmesan, edamame, pine nuts, garlic and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. Season with fresh pepper. Slowly add oil with food processor on, pausing to make sure to scrape the sides..don’t lose any of the goodness!
- Drain pasta, saving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pot. Stir pesto into pasta until coated. If sauce is too dry, gradually add pasta water a little at a time until creamy.
- Serve with more grated Parmesan.