Memorial Day Flag Cake!
By Hope Bidegainberry on May 14, 2018
It’s that time of year again: 3-day weekend, BBQ, and of course no Memorial Day weekend is complete without a flag cake! Here is a simple recipe for this simple dessert everyone loves!
- 1 package of French vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (3 ounces) of berry blue gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups of divided boiling water
- 1 cup of divided cold water
- Ice cubes
- 1 package (3 ounces) of strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup of finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon of 2% milk
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper-set aside.
- IN a large bowl, combine first four ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a covered cake board.
- Using a small knife, cut out a 5×4 inch rectangle (1/2 inch deep) in the left corner of the cake, leaving a 1/2 inch border along the edges of the cake.
- For red stripes, cut out 1/2 inch wide rows (1/2 inch deep), leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Using a fork, carefully remove cut-out-cake pieces.
- In a small bowl, dissolve berry blue gelatin in a 3/4 cup of boiling water.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cold water into a 2-cup measuring cup-add enough ice cubes to measure 1-1/4 cups.
- Stir into gelatin until slightly thickened.
- Scoop out and discard any remaining ice cubes.
- Repeat-making strawberry gelatin.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 cup of strawberry gelatin.
- In another bowl, combine blueberries and 1 cup of blue gelatin.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes or just until soft-set. (Save remaining gelatin for another use).
- Stir gelatin mixtures.
- Slowly pour blueberry mixture into a rectangle; spoon strawberry mixture into strips.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in confectioner’s sugar and milk until smooth.
- Add marshmallow creme; beat well until light and fluffy.
- Spread 1 cup over sides and top of edge of cake.
- Refrigerate remaining frosting for 20 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of the pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip.
- Fill the bag with remaining frosting.
- Pipe frosting in between rows of strawberry gelatin and round edges of the cake.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until gelatin in set.