Potato and Irish Cheddar Rolls
By Hope Bidegainberry on March 6, 2018
Are you ready to try some traditional Irish baking?! Well try these delicious potato and Irish cheddar rolls that will fill your house!
- 100g of potatoes
- 2 tbsp of reserved cooking water from potatoes
- 25g of fresh yeast or 15g of dry yeast
- 50g of sugar
- 450g of white flour-warm the flour in a warmed bowl.
- 1 tsp of salt
- 50g of butter
- 150ml of warmed milk
- Milk for glazing
- 100g of grated cheddar cheese
- Cook the potatoes in salted water and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes very well.
- Then cover and keep warm.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and rub in the butter.
- Make a well in the center and add the sugar, yeast, and mashed potatoes-mixing well.
- Add the tepid milk and 150ml (1/4 pint) of water to the yeast liquid, mix and add to the mixing bowl.
- Bring together into a rough dough.
- Knead very well until it springs back when pressed.
- Roll the dough into a long sausage shape and cut into 10-12 pieces.
- Roll the pieces into dough balls and place in a buttered, floured casserole pot.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour, until dough balls have doubled in size.
- Once risen, brush with a little milk, sprinkle with the cheese and back at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.