Southwestern Three-Bean Barley Soup!
By Hope Bidegainberry on January 2, 2018
Looking for something healthy and warm to eat during this cold winter?! Well look no further, try this delicious and easy soup to make for the family!
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 large diced stalk of celery
- 1 large diced carrot
- 9 cups of water
- 4 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 1/3 cup of dried black beans
- 1/3 cup of dried great northern beans
- 1/3 cup of dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally-about 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, barley, great northern beans, kidney beans, black beans, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Bring it to a lively simmer for about 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours (adding more water, 1/2 cup at a time).
- Season with salt.