Kids love Cake Pops! The holidays are so busy, I cheated on these and used package cake mix. Sometimes you just have to cut corners and enjoy! This recipe is easy and delights you and old alike!
- 1 package 2-layer-size cake mix
- 1 cup frosting (canned)
- 12 ounces red, green, or vanilla- or chocolate-flavored candy coating, chopped
- 12 ounces semisweet, dark, or white baking chocolate, chopped
- 34 -36 lollipop sticks
- Prepare cake mix according to directions and bake using any suggested pan size. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Line some trays or baking sheets with waxed paper.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and crumble into a very large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of frosting. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Using a small scoop, drop mixture into 1 1/2-inch rounds onto prepared trays and then roll mounds into balls and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a small dish heat 1 ounce of the coating (about 1/4 cup) in a microwave on medium for 60 seconds until melted and smooth, stirring once. Dip one end of each lollipop stick into melted chocolate and poke sticks into balls. Freeze for 30 to 60 minutes more or until balls are firm.
- Place remaining candy coating and chopped chocolate in a small saucepan and Heat over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. One by one, dip balls into melted chocolate mixture. Allow excess to drip off; place balls on clean waxed paper-lined trays. After coating is set, transfer to storage containers and store, covered, in refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.