The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is seeking special adopters to provide a safe, indoor-only home to a seven month old female cat named Millie who survived possible ingestion of bromethalin, a toxin found in over-the-counter rodenticide.
“Millie was found as stray by a Good Samaritan on October 2, 2018 at his place of work in Menlo Park. He recognized immediately the cat was very sick and brought her to us,” said PHS/SCPA’s Communications Manager Buffy Martin Tarbox. “She was completely comatose, and over the following days had intermittent seizures. She was in such bad shape we didn’t expect her to survive, but with our specialized care she did.”
Expert veterinary staff at PHS/SPCA found her symptoms to be consistent with bromethalin, a toxin commonly used to eradicate rodents. Bromethalin is highly toxic with no known antidote, and survival rate in cats is extremely low. The poison causes fluid to accumulate in the brain and spinal cord, resulting in severe swelling of tissues and can cause weakness, wobbling, seizures, coma and even death.
“Millie is truly a miracle cat,” according to Tarbox. “We provided her plenty of fluids, intense supportive care, and thankfully she began to improve. Because of the poison, Millie has sight impairment and will likely never be a neurologically normal cat. She wobbles a bit, and has problems jumping and climbing. But she requires no treatment, and is very friendly. There is a possibility her neurological issues may improve in a stable and loving home environment.”
Millie is seven months old, spayed, vaccinated, microchipped and will only be adopted to individual(s) committed to keeping her as an indoor-only cat. She would do best in a quiet and stable household with no small children.
“Despite her rough beginning, Millie is a very sweet and gentle cat,” said Tarbox.
People interested in meeting with Millie can visit PHS/SPCA at 1450 Rollins Road in Burlingame. Her adoption fee is $80.