Are you ready to try some traditional Irish baking?! Well try these delicious potato and Irish cheddar rolls that will fill your house!
- 100g of potatoes
- 2 tbsp of reserved cooking water from potatoes
- 25g of fresh yeast or 15g of dry yeast
- 50g of sugar
- 450g of white flour-warm the flour in a warmed bowl.
- 1 tsp of salt
- 50g of butter
- 150ml of warmed milk
- Milk for glazing
- 100g of grated cheddar cheese
- Cook the potatoes in salted water and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes very well.
- Then cover and keep warm.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and rub in the butter.
- Make a well in the center and add the sugar, yeast, and mashed potatoes-mixing well.
- Add the tepid milk and 150ml (1/4 pint) of water to the yeast liquid, mix and add to the mixing bowl.
- Bring together into a rough dough.
- Knead very well until it springs back when pressed.
- Roll the dough into a long sausage shape and cut into 10-12 pieces.
- Roll the pieces into dough balls and place in a buttered, floured casserole pot.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour, until dough balls have doubled in size.
- Once risen, brush with a little milk, sprinkle with the cheese and back at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.