This Black Bean Soup recipe is simple and healthy, not to mention vegan and gluten free too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrost, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 60 oz (4 cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 oz vegetable broth or chicken broth will work too
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Garnish options: avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, and red pepper). Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the black beans, vegetable broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Turn the soup to low and let simmer for 25 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf. If you want to thicken the soup, use a blender to purée 2 cups of the soup for a thicker consistency and then add back to the pot ( you can also use and immersion blender if you’ve got one, just don’t blend all the soup) Stir the pureed soup back into the pot.
Stir in the cilantro and fresh lime juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm with desired toppings.