The only thing more fun than eating sugar cookies over the holidays is decorating them ~ this recipe is easy and fun to do with the kids.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Sprinkles and sugar toppings.
- 1. Cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured holiday cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on un-greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. For frosting, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; transfer frosting to bag. Pipe decorations. Sprinkle with colored sugar.